Tuesday, June 16, 2009

16 Year Old Baseball Phenom Dropping Out Of High School

Just last week Las Vegas' Bryce Harper was featured in S.I. as 'Baseball's Chosen One.' He's not only about the 30th person to be 'chosen' by S.I. as such, but the kid is also only 16 years old. I also woke up this morning to find that Harper is dropping out of high school. Harper is so good at baseball, that let me repeat, he is dropping out of high school.

Harper's father announced "that Bryce will forgo his final two years of high school and use a GED to enroll in a community college this August."

From the Las Vegas Review-Journal:

"There are going to be critics. I can't worry about what people think," Ron Harper said. "People are going to see what they want to see and say what they want to say. I think this prepares him for life, playing the game of baseball.

"People question your parenting and what you're doing. Honestly, we don't think it's that big a deal. He's not leaving school to go work in a fast-food restaurant. Bryce is a good kid. He's smart, and he's going to get his education."

What also kind of surprises me is that Yahoo's blogger 'Duk' supports the decision, 'for the most part.'
To be honest, I can see why this probably shouldn't be blown up like it is going to be. I know many people, including my father, who have successful careers with a GED. However, almost all of them wished the could have lived through high school life. Sure going to class 8-3 every day STINKS. But you make friends for life, compete in sports, school plays.etc. And even if you don't participate in any school activiites, there are many lessons to be learned within the halls of your high school that will help you throughout your life. Not just playing baseball.

I wish Bryce the best of luck, but he and his parents are definitely rolling the dice on this one. He better be the next Mickey Mantle or somethin'.

[Big League Stew]

No comments:

Post a Comment