Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Is Jim Calhoun Crazy? It Could Be Worse

A few times a year we get the pleasure of witnessing a coach or player totally melt down in front of the cameras during a press conference. Yesterday we all saw the latest victim falter on ESPN with UConn's Jim Calhoun. But what was the deal? Was he in the wrong, or was he in the right? How does his tirade compare?? Well folks I'm here to answer all your questions!

As a former sports reporter I can tell you right away that both Calhoun and the journalist who asked the question (some guy named Ken Krayeske) were both acting like complete nut jobs.

For good ole' Ken, Rule #1 If you're going to ask the man about his salary, be a little more subtle and sensitive. Don't make quick passive aggressive remarks that will embarrass the coach in front of everyone.

Rule #2 Save that question for last. Or even better yet, do it aside from everyone else outside of the press room. You're obviously looking for attention with this remark by starting the press conference this way and in front of everyone. And from the way the coach reacted, you're BOTH insecure and still looking to prove yourselves.

Which brings me to coach Calhoun. Coach, buddy, where ya goin? Are you really that insecure that you have to take all your aggressions out on a petty (evidently not that professional of a) journalist that nobody knows. You could have just said, "I really don't think that my salary has anything to do with the budget crisis we are in....etc..." -basically just staying calm and not acting like a total maniac..... And we never would have heard a peep about this! On the other hand, your passion may just be what makes a good coach.....just work on channeling that energy a little better!

I'm sure both of you are good guys, at least I'd like to think so, but everytime I see something like this I can't help but laugh........hystirically........uncontrollably...........for minutes at a time. Expect this to become the latest Youtube sports sensation / Coors light commercial parody!
Although what happened yesterday is pretty ridiculous, it's still one of the more tame (and less amusing I might add!) rants in recent memory. To show you what I mean, I have posted the Calhoun tirade below, along with some of my other top coaching meltdowns from the years. So Enjoy! And let me know which rant is your favorite of all-time.

Jim Calhoun's Best Advice: Shut Up.
Another Jim. Jim Mora was always a good quote. "Playoffs!!!..Playoffs!!"
Dennis Green instant classic "They are who we thought they were!" P.S. I like Sportscenter's reaction at the end..."that's a disappointed coach.." haha.
Mike Gundy - Coors Light parody shot by some students. This is even funnier than the 3 minute crazy-real version.


Did I forget any of the all-time bests? Let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment