Sunday, January 4, 2009

Who Else Is Happy To See UNC Lose?

I know I sure am!

In case you missed it, Boston College totally upset 1North Carolina at home today 85-78.

North Carolina really looked like another team that could go unbeaten. Earlier this year after they thrashed Michigan State, even I bought into how great of a team they are/could be. Today was a little of a relief though. I would really hate to see a team go perfect. It's simply no fun. (unless of course it's YOUR team that is doing it)

I'm from the country. A cornfield. Downstate Illinois. I lived my childhood breathing basketball and loving the Fighting Illini. So I'm really partial to the 2005 team that ALMOST went all the way. Which is also why I probably don't like the Tar Heels. I'm still pretty bitter about the 2005 national championship game in which many (not just me) felt Illinois didn't get a fair call.

So I know how you feel Memphis! The 2005 Fighting Illini will be one of the greatest teams to not win the national title. They won 37 games, now tied for second in NCAA history (behind Memphis' mark of 38 last year). The Tigers will be up there as well.

But enough of the history lesson (just in case you're wondering, the last team to go undefeated was the 76' Hoosiers), I guess I'm just really hoping that the 2009 Tar Heels will fall in that same category...or worse: One of the greatest teams to NOT win the national title.

Also please note! Just because UNC lost today, doesn't mean you should count them out in March. Unfortunately I can almost guarantee they will be the favorite to win the national title. They'll probably be my own personal pick. Again, unfortunately.

I don't like to hate. And I won't. But boy is North Carolina fun to root against. There are a ton of you UNC fans out there. Does anyone else like to see the Tar Heels lose!?


For your viewing pleasure, some pics from the 2005 National Runner-Up University of Illinois Fighting Illini.


First, there were a ton of bandwagon fans that year, including Bill Murray. People....uh er...crazy Illini fans, went nuts when he showed up in the stands.


D-Will. After the Arizona win.


One of the greatest comebacks of all-time. Illinois over Arizona in OT in the Regional Finals. Luther Head.

No comments:

Post a Comment